Thursday, September 13, 2012

Day One...Homeless Shelter for Veterans

I am sorry I haven't been here in a while but due to job loss, career change, and going back to school I have been so crazy that I can't even remember the time I sat down to enjoy a good sports game.  I am back to blogging for one purpose and one purpose only.  I am going to be blogging every day to inform the public of my process to develop this dream I have of a homeless shelter veterans.

From the Harry Bradford, reporter of Hufflington Post:
More than one million veterans are at risk of becoming homeless, while tens of thousands of former servicemembers are already living without shelter, according to the Center For American Progress. In fact, one in seven homeless people previously served in the military, a December 2011 report found, and much of the other data surrounding homeless veterans are equally worrisome.
Indeed, the issue of veteran homelessness is becoming increasingly important as defense spending cuts limiting vital benefits for veterans will automatically take effect in 2013, if Congress doesn't take action, according to the Center For American Progress.
As the future of the veteran support systems hangs in the balance, a recent report found that, compared with other homeless people, veterans face even greater adversity. Former service members are 11 percent more likely to develop a life-threatening disease while living without shelter compared to their non-veteran counterparts.

This has been very concerning to me since they are the ones that gave the most precious thing they own, their lives, to support this country.  The purpose of this blog like stated before is to keep the public informed of my goals and let them travel with me as I make this dream a reality.  The second purpose is to get support and have people give me ideas, money, and volunteer their time to accomplish this.  We are taught not to leave a fallen solider behind.  Please be patient we are coming for you, homeless veterans.

No comments: