Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Corbett's Anti Veteran Caller






Repsonse I have written to Corbett about one of his callers. He called in on May 31, 2011 bad mouthing Veterans. My response:


Dear Corbett,

It was interesting listening to your show today, May 31, 2011 when a caller talked about how veterans receive too many benefits. He went on complaining about how it was a veterans own fault for signing up and shouldn’t get anything. He went so far as to say he doesn’t care if they lose a leg or arm they still should not get anything.
Being a veteran myself I find such talk darn right disrespectful to the one percent of all men and women in this nation that sign up to sacrifice their greatest asset, their lives. It is true that we are a voluntary organization. But I ask that caller this, “ name me another job that you have to go where they tell you and sometimes have to work 4 days straight without extra pay.” Some of our men and women serving right now are making below minimum wage yet they still hold their head up high and fight for our freedom. It is so sad that some of them are on food stamps just to get by.
Another issue is the medical issues. In the soldiers line of work we are forced in situations that effect our health both physically and mentally. For example the VA has come out and said that if a member of the military has Lou Gehrig’s disease it is most likely related to their service. We of course have found that Vietnam veterans come down with diabetes and other conditions as it is related to Agent Orange exposure. I believe that this hazard was not part of the veteran’s job description let alone any other occupation out there.

My name is NEPASARGE and I am a veteran and a blogger for veterans. I am proud of what I did with the military and my fellow brothers and sisters have done. I will speak their voice so it is heard and stop ignorant callers like that from corrupting the public’s eye. So to the caller I understand that the military is not for everyone but if you have to complain about veterans I ask where are you to gone the one percent of all Americans that do join. It is easy to bash the military but I didn’t see you sign up for the military in the countries time is needs. So rather than bash a veteran why don’t you thank a veteran or spend a little time reflecting on a veteran that has sacrificed their life so that you could have that freedom to say this. So as a veteran, to that caller, you are welcome.

A final thought to consider comes from President Lincoln’s Second Inaugural Address; “…to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan…” We live in a nation that has a culture of caring for our men and women who served in the Armed Forces. Maybe that is why I find this persons remarks so hurtful… Then again, I am reminded of Jack Nicholson’s speech at the end of “A Few Good Men”, or ponder how General Patton and his ridding whip would of handled this caller.


Sincerely,

NEPASARGE

No comments: